Friday, May 4, 2018

Blogger Chick Chat & Review ~ Dear Bridget, I Want You ~ Vi Keeland & Penelope Ward

Dear Bridget, I Want YouDear Bridget, I Want You by Vi Keeland & Penelope Ward
Release Date: September 18, 2017
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Source: Gifted on Kindle
Rating: 4.5 Bookworms
Goodreads

Synopsis
Dear Bridget,
I'm writing this letter because it's highly doubtful I'll ever garner the courage to say this to your face.
So, here goes.
We're totally wrong for each other. You're the proper single mum with a good head on your shoulders. I'm just the carefree British doctor passing through town and temporarily living in your converted garage until I head back to England.
But here's the thing...for some bloody reason, I can't stop thinking about you in very inappropriate ways.
I want you.
The only reason I'm even admitting all of this to you right now is because I don't believe it's one-sided. I notice your eyes when you look at me, too. And as crass as I appear when we're joking around about sex, my attraction to you is not a joke.
So, what's the purpose of this note? I guess it's a reminder that we're adults, that sex is healthy and natural, and that you can find me just through the door past the kitchen. More specifically, it's to let you know that I'm leaving said door cracked open from now on in case you'd like to visit me in the middle of the night sometime.
No questions asked.
Think about it.
Or don't.
Whatever you choose.
It's doubtful I'll even end up sliding this letter under your door anyway.
--Simon



***BLOGGER CHICK CHAT***

My blogger wife, Lexxie @(un)Conventional Bookviews, gave me Dear Bridget, I Want You for Christmas so it was imperative that we buddy read it. Here's what we had to say once we finished:

Me: I'm so happy we decided to buddy-read this one, wifey. I really enjoyed it. I felt Keeland and Ward did well in fleshing out the characters, creating a compelling story, and combining humor with some seriousness as well.

Lex: I loved that we were able to buddy-read this, to - FINALLY, right? They did flesh out the characters, and the humor had me laughing really hard - but I loved that there was something deeper going on as well.

Me: I was giggle-snorting over Bridget and Simon's initial encounter. But while there were other instances of humor, I liked that the story wasn't all fun and games. It made watching their romance blossoming more endearing. What did you think of the story overall?

Lex: OMG! She had a fish-hook in her butt-cheek. You can't even make that up, right? And how she asked Simon for a real doctor or a woman LOL And the fact that it wasn't all fun and games made it that much more realistic to me. Plus, as you said, their romance was very cute.

I've had a fish-hook stuck in my finger...I can't imagine it being stuck in my butt! And I would be mortified to have a hunky young doctor be the one to treat me! bwahahahaha

Me: I liked the letters. Sometimes it is easier to say what you feel in writing rather than verbally. And they each had quite a few sexy thoughts for the other but I think they both felt like they might be rebuffed for myriad reasons but they took a chance on putting their thoughts and feelings out there anyway. Did you like how the letters were done?

Lex: Yes. Writing things down can feel both intimate and give you more courage. Because you don't have to watch the other person's face while you're writing a letter. And you might not even get any feedback at all. I think I loved Bridget's first letter the most. Since she didn't really plan on actually giving it to Simon. Ever. But I'm glad he got it. Because that's just too cute.

Me: I liked the fact that Bridget and Simon shared a tragedy in common because they were able to really understand the feelings they each had because of those tragedies at a certain level. I also appreciated how Keeland/Ward had Bridget and Simon work through those experiences. I did NOT see that one curveball coming at me though. How do you feel about Bridget and Simon having a tragedy in common and did you see the curveball coming or were you smacked in the face with it as well?

Lex: Oh, the twists of their tragedies, and especially Bridget's tragedy just cut my heart in two! I seriously felt like I had been stabbed at one point. Because *shakes head* that was just tough to read. And to see how they hadn't really made peace with what they had been through, but finally found a way to do so was beautiful. I was totally smacked in the face with the curveball. Even if I expected *something* to be up with that - because that lawyer was just fishy. And I was SO angry at Bridget's <<friend<< and <<colleague<<. Like, why would she interfere like that?

Me: How did you feel about how the authors handled Brendan? I felt like he could have been a bit more of a presence but overall I liked how they wrote him. I especially loved seeing Simon with him. And I suppose that was important since it illustrated Simon's emotional growth.

Lex: I thought Brendan was awesome. And he was present enough - especially thinking about how Bridget wanted to shield him. And seeing Simon actually stepping up and being great with Brendan was heartwarming.


I didn't think about it like that but you're right...Bridget was very protective of him. That makes sense. So yeah, he was present enough. :)

Me: Overall, I felt like this was a heartwarming, fun, sexy, and sweet read. I hope you felt the same way.

Lex: I totally felt the same, wifey! It was a great story :D




This writing duo continues to knock it out of the park for me. Dear Bridget, I Want You combined humor, romance, and some real-life angst to create a compelling, relatable, and engaging story.

Highlights:

  • Bridget & Simon
    From their initial encounter, where Simon was tasked with removing a fishhook from Bridget's bum to the final scene in the epilogue, I fell for both of them as well as enjoying their journey to their HEA. The ways in which Keeland and Ward fleshed out these characters, giving them backstories with a commonality to how they dealt with working together and their being at different stages in their lives, I flipped through the pages eager to see what happened next.
  • Romance
    The way the fell was genuine and sweet. And I liked how Keeland and Ward incorporated Brendan even if I felt he could have played a bit larger role in the story. (Edit: After my chat with Lexxie, I decided that his role was just right.) Bridget and Simon fought their attraction HARD. In the end though, it was unavoidable. The pull was too strong no matter the obstacles. And I liked how Keeland and Ward had things fall into place.
  • Plot
    How Keeland and Ward brought Simon and Bridget together felt organic. Even the twists they threw in felt realistic even though the legality might have been questionable. The emotions evoked and the outcomes as well as the few hurdles they had to overcome all led to a satisfying ending. I was thrilled to have read this one!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Now you know what I think...what are your thoughts??